Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Weekly Update

Good evening,

I have a lot to share! Please read this entire post!

Upcoming Events:

  • PRISM: Thursday, February 20, 2014 from 3:45-7:00 P.M. in the cafeteria. Students who completed a project should attend and pick up their certificate, prism, and project. 
  • Book Fair: our Spring book fair will continue until next Monday. Students will be allowed to go to the book fair and purchase items during the end of reading/lunchtime. 
  • Spring Parent Teacher Conference invites will be sent out tomorrow. There is only one night for Spring parent teacher conferences instead of two, so I cannot meet with everyone that evening. I will send out an invite to the families that I must meet with first. After they have signed up (usually a few days later) I will open the registration up to anyone who would like to have a conference. If you are unable to sign up but would still like to meet, please contact me. Report cards will come out AFTER parent teacher conferences, so if I have not discussed concerns with you by e-mail, progress report or by phone then I will not be requesting a conference with you at this time. 
  • Six Flags Read to Succeed: I will be sending home the reading log forms for the Six Flags ticket. In the past, this process has been handled differently at Long School and I apologize for not being aware of needing to print these forms. If you have been keeping track of  the hours, please fill out the forms, sign and return by February 26th for the free ticket. If you have any questions please call or e-mail me. Again, I apologize for not getting this out to you sooner, it slipped by me! 
  • Math Test: We will be taking a math test over chapters 20-22 on Monday. Two short review guides will be coming home on Friday. Please encourage your child to look over the material sometime this weekend. 
  • Science Test: We will be taking a science test next Wednesday over the States of Matter unit. In the binder are review papers that your child can study, but we also will be bringing home notes and a study guide. 
  • Boy's LAA baseball team opportunity: I have been asked to pass along information about a baseball team that is forming for the spring. Please read the information below and let me know if you are interested. Thank you. 

 Hello Third Grade Parents,
My husband, Shawn Garland (Brennan's Dad), and Muhamed Hadziselimovic (Dennis's Dad) will be coaching an LAA boys 3rd grade baseball team this summer.  We would love to have a team of boys from Long Elementary.  If your son would like to be on the team, please send your completed registration and check to school in an envelope addressed to:
Kim Garland
c/o Brennan Garland
Ms. Chapman's Class

The registration form can be found on the LAA website.  Please send the information by Friday, 2/28.  We will turn in everyone's information together along with the request to be a team.

We look forward to seeing you this summer,
Kim Garland

Here is what we are learning about this week:

Writing: Finishing prompt writing unit, scoring and evaluating our pieces using a scoring guide
Reading: predicting, clarifying, questioning and summarizing as we read
Math: solid figures, perimeter, review symmetry and congruent figures
Science: mass, volume, and states of matter
Spelling: we took the week off from spelling sorts and are enjoying a chapter book together! We earned it! 

If you have not already, please scroll down and see pictures of PRISM projects, building solid figures and the video of us singing the water cycle song! Thank you again to all of the parents who helped/contributed to a fantastic Valentine's Day party!  Have a great week! 




No comments:

Post a Comment