Monday, September 23, 2013

Weekly Update

Good evening!

As you have heard, our writing curriculum is completely new this year. It requires kids to write a lot more in a shorter period of time. We are focusing more on craft than grammar, and we have spent the first few weeks of school studying mentor texts. Some of the things we focused on were using onomatopoeia (sound words) to help be more descriptive, writing interesting lead and closing sentences that "hook" the reader, and using quotation marks and dialogue! Each student drafted two narratives and chose one for publishing. We had a celebration on Wednesday to commemorate this accomplishment! Some students really blossomed during the first 20 days of writing workshop as you can see below. This is just the beginning for writing narratives and I cannot wait to see how each child continues to grow and change as a writer! Check out a few of the samples below!





Important Reminders:

  • The Chapter 2 and 3 math test will be Tuesday, September 24. Please use the review, homework and graded papers in the binder to study. You may also use the math notebook or log on to the online textbook. 
  • Picture Day is Wednesday, September 25. Please send all money and order forms if you have them to school or I believe you can pay for them online. We do not get our pictures taken until 1:25 P.M., so I will work hard to keep them looking their best! 
  • No school Friday, September 27. The entire school district will be learning about best practices with technology in the morning and safety training in the afternoon. 
Here is what we are learning about this week:

Writing: writing personal narratives with independence; strategies, storytelling, editing
Reading: visualizing, identifying the narrator and determining author's purpose
Spelling: meet with groups, complete daily activities
Math: Test over Ch. 2 and 3, Begin Ch. 4: Addition Concepts
Social Studies: identifying land forms, the seven continents, and oceans of the world, making a map
Leader in Me: Begin with the End in Mind- We will identify a goal that each child would like to accomplish by the end of the narrative writing unit based off of where they are right now. We will create a plan for achieving that goal. 


Remember, you should not have to worry about the Moodle anymore from home. We will switch that to being an "in-class" resource instead. Please use the class website and blog for anything that you may need. Thank you and have a great week. Enjoy the pictures below!








 

2 comments:

  1. I can't see the pictures. Any one else have and/or solve this problem?

    Marilee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Refresh the page. I am sorry, the links were broken the first time I uploaded them. I believe I have fixed the issue. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete