Sunday, September 8, 2013

Weekly Update

Good evening,

Last week we explored leaves under the microscope! We specifically wanted to learn about leaf veins and how they transport water and sugar to other parts of the plant during photosynthesis. Using the microscope was very exciting and we will use it again Monday to explore the parts of the plant. I bought cheap mums from Wal Mart and we are going to take them apart! Check out the leaf veins below!

Here is what we are learning about this week:

Math: Place Value of 3, 4, 5 and 6 digit numbers!
Reading: How to write a weekly reading response letter during reading workshop
Writing: Revising, editing and choosing one personal narrative draft for publishing
Spelling: determining groups, will begin next week (re-testing a few students)
Science: parts of a plant, how plants reproduce, life cycle of plants
Seven Habits of Happy Kids: We are reading the last two stories (Synergize and Sharpen the Saw) in our book. We will be revisiting the 2nd and 3rd habits this week and discuss how to create goals.
***We will be taking the monthly math and communication arts eValuate tests this week. 

Important Reminders:

  • I am almost finished updating the classroom website. My goal is for you to use the classroom website for anything that you would need. The class and I will still use Moodle at times at school. This way, you will not have to log into Moodle from home unless you want to. I will post daily homework, links to textbooks, and important classroom links on my classroom website. I will send home a password sheet and hopefully this will end the frustrating Moodle log-in process and will make life easier for you at home. 
  • I was given access to the online science textbook this week. I will set up a user name and password for your child so you can access it as soon as possible. Please know there will not be a test over the Plants unit. Students will complete an in-class project to show what they have learned instead. 
  • We will welcome a new student, Angel T., to our class on Tuesday! That brings our number of students up to 23. 
  • There will be a substitute in the afternoon on Tuesday, September 10 because I will be at the high school for technology training. 
  • We have library tomorrow (Monday) and it is a D day so we will have technology. Mrs. Maddock will also make her first visit to our class this week. 
I hope you have a great week! If you have any questions about the website changes that are coming, please let me know. I am just trying to make life easier for us all. Thank you! 

No comments:

Post a Comment