Sunday, August 18, 2013

First Full Week of School!

Good evening!

     I hope you had a great weekend! Even though we were only at school two days last week, we enjoyed getting to know one another through a variety of ice breaker games. We learned about the rules and expectations of Long School and each student brainstormed ideas with their group about what our class rules and expectations should be. Ultimately, we decided a list of "Do Not's" didn't sound very nice. We decided to go with these four rules:

1. Be Respectful
2. Be Responsible
3. Show Self-Control
4. Be safe, work hard and have fun! 

We also went to art and music and visited with Mrs. Heller and Mr. Kassulke. Everyone got along and seemed to be HAPPY to be back at school.

Here is what we will be learning about this week:

Math: Addition and Subtraction Review (Chapter 1)
Writing: Setting up writing notebooks and the workshop
Reading: Routines and procedures for reading workshop
Science: identifying/explaining how plants change

Important Reminders: 

  • Curriculum Night is Tuesday, August 20, 2013 at 6 P.M. I will begin right at 6 and try to end around 6:30 for parents who have 5th grade children. Please plan on attending. We will discuss important routines and procedures, the third grade curriculum, the grading process (students receive letter grades of A-F this year), how to access online textbooks and resources, and so much more! It will be a whirlwind of a meeting but I will be available afterwards to answer questions for those of you who can stay. I will hand out important forms that will need to be signed and returned as well. 
  • Our Block Schedule is as follows: 
    • A= Art
    • B= Music
    • C= P.E.
    • D= Technology
  • Our class will check out books from the library every Monday from 12:10-12:25. Please help me with reminding students... Monday is not an ideal day but it was all I could do! 
  • Many of you signed up to volunteer in our classroom! If you have already consented to the background check and have a form on file with the office, you may begin right away! If not I will have forms on hand that you may submit so we can get you in! I am already in need and really looking forward to working with you!  Thank you so much! 
If you have any questions, please feel free to e-mail or call me! I am looking forward to seeing you on Tuesday for Curriculum Night. Have a great week! 

No comments:

Post a Comment