Sunday, October 14, 2012

End of 1st Quarter Update

Good evening!

This Friday marks the end of the first quarter! Students will be dismissed early Friday, October 19 at 11:50 A.M. Lunch will not be served this day. If you could please check in with your child and let them know how he or she is getting home, I would greatly appreciate it! Here is what we are working on in class this week:

Math: estimating/computing to find the difference of 3 and 4 digit numbers with and without regrouping.
Social Studies: we will be reviewing and testing over Units 1 and 2 on Wednesday, 10/17.
Spelling: all students will take a spelling test this week and receive new words
Reading: Finding the main idea and supporting details
Writing: writing friendly letters using the writing process

Upcoming events:
  • Sheldon Concert Hall field trip,  on October 25th. Please turn in money and slips when possible! 
  • Book Orders are due by October 26th.
  • Our Halloween party will be Oct. 31st from 2-3:00 P.M. More info. to follow.
  • New dismissal procedures are scheduled to begin on October 22nd. Please let me know if you need to make changes to bus/pickup arrangements. :) 
  • Parent Teacher conferences are currently being scheduled on Sign Up Genius and most people have signed up. I will send out a reminder e-mail with your time as we get closer to the end of the month. 
Last but not least, all but two students greatly improved their eValuate scores for the month of October. One student increased by 44 points! While several others made gains of 20-25 points, most saw increases of 5-15 percentage points. The graphs have been updated in the eValuate tabs of the binders, and tomorrow I am going to hand back September's tests. Please feel free to look them over if you wish. After Friday, we are going to clean out all of the math, science and social studies papers in the binder. I will send them home in the take home folder in case you would like to keep them, but feel free to discard these papers after this time. 

One last thing... I am 90 % positive the Moodle is working reliably again in our classroom, so I am going to try to start using this again and hopefully there will be no problems. 

I hope you have a great week! Please let me know if you have any questions. Thank you! 


No comments:

Post a Comment