Hello everyone! I hope that you have enjoyed your weekend. On this week's progress report, you might have seen your child's score for September's eValuate tests. In case you forgot, eValuate is a district-wide standardized assessment that is administered once a month to ensure each child is mastering and progressing with grade level skills. Even though we have not covered most of the curriculum yet, there are questions on the test that cover harder concepts such as multiplication and division, geometry, and etc. Keeping this in mind, most students did not score above an 80% on the math test this time around, and that is perfectly o.k.
The goal is for them to score an 80% or above by the end of the school year, because that demonstrates proficiency. A score of 60 % or above for math demonstrates a solid foundation at this time. For reading, a solid score would have been 70% or above for the month of September. Please do not panic at this time if your child was slightly below! I teach both reading and math in small groups, and this allows for me to better suit the needs of each student. We will spend some of those group times going over this assessment and coming up with strategies. In the eValuate section of your child's binder, there is a bar graph where we have recorded our score and set a goal for next month's test on the back. Also, as soon as we are finished going over the test, your child will put both copies in that section of their binder and you will be free to go over it with them anytime at home.
WHEW!!! Now on to this week's learning topics and activities:
Math: comparing, ordering and rounding numbers using <,>, and =. up to 10,000
Social Studies: identifying and locating the world's continents, oceans and various landforms
Reading: Improving our comprehension by making connections, predicting, and using the skill sequencing
Writing: adding details to sentences, writing paragraphs with topic and closing sentences
Special Event this week: On Wednesday, 9/19, students in 3rd, 4th, and 5th grades will be getting their hearing screened.
Quick Question: Is your child actually using his or her math notebook at home? What are your thoughts on the notebooks? My goal was for students to use it as an invaluable resource, and use it at home if they are working on homework or studying. Thanks for your input. You can comment right here on the blog if you do not mind.
I hope you have a terrific week! :)
The goal is for them to score an 80% or above by the end of the school year, because that demonstrates proficiency. A score of 60 % or above for math demonstrates a solid foundation at this time. For reading, a solid score would have been 70% or above for the month of September. Please do not panic at this time if your child was slightly below! I teach both reading and math in small groups, and this allows for me to better suit the needs of each student. We will spend some of those group times going over this assessment and coming up with strategies. In the eValuate section of your child's binder, there is a bar graph where we have recorded our score and set a goal for next month's test on the back. Also, as soon as we are finished going over the test, your child will put both copies in that section of their binder and you will be free to go over it with them anytime at home.
WHEW!!! Now on to this week's learning topics and activities:
Math: comparing, ordering and rounding numbers using <,>, and =. up to 10,000
Social Studies: identifying and locating the world's continents, oceans and various landforms
Reading: Improving our comprehension by making connections, predicting, and using the skill sequencing
Writing: adding details to sentences, writing paragraphs with topic and closing sentences
Special Event this week: On Wednesday, 9/19, students in 3rd, 4th, and 5th grades will be getting their hearing screened.
Quick Question: Is your child actually using his or her math notebook at home? What are your thoughts on the notebooks? My goal was for students to use it as an invaluable resource, and use it at home if they are working on homework or studying. Thanks for your input. You can comment right here on the blog if you do not mind.
I hope you have a terrific week! :)
Raph has not used his math notebook that I know of at this point. I made up sample questions for him to practice each night based on his math papers for the week. If you have suggestions on how he should be using his math notebook I'll be happy to add that to his routine.
ReplyDeleteEvie is not using her math notebook at home. I am not familiar with it and therefore cannot add any insight.
ReplyDeleteWe have not consistently used the math notebook to help with homework, because Matteo can usually do it without the notebook. However, he enjoys showing me what's added to it ands loves that it's fun and hands-on...and so do I!
ReplyDeleteJohn absolutely LOVES his math notebook! He is SO proud of it, gets excited to show anything new that's been added. He has used it a few times for homework, but math comes easy to him & I think he gets his notebook out more to "show it off" than to actually use it, lol. I think it's an awesome tool, great idea!!!
ReplyDeleteJacob used it to study for the first test. Grandma helped him study so it help her stay consistant with what he was taught.
ReplyDeleteSo far Malia has been able to do her Math homework w/o the notebook. I wasn't quite sure how to incorporate it into her routine at home.
ReplyDeleteI don't think the math notebook has been used at all.
ReplyDeleteAbby loves the math notebook but does not use it for her homework.
ReplyDeleteWe have only used the Math notebook once or twice. I didn't really know about it except the one or times he showed it to me. Now that I am aware of it, I will try to get him to use it more often.
ReplyDeleteRaina has not used the math notebook at home.
ReplyDeleteI was just simply wondering if they were using the math notebook. It is not required for them to use it at home... It is a teaching strategy for making math lessons more hands on and I was just curious if it was helping anyone during homework. I suppose it is a good thing that they are not needing it to complete their homework. You were not informed of it at curriculum night because it is just part of the way I try to make math lessons more engaging. Next year, I will bring it up on curriculum night. Thank you for all of the input!
ReplyDelete